Our latest original plan (after postponing it for 2 week already to make more jewelry) was to head to Elfrida, Arizona on Wednesday, July 31st to get set up to give away free jewelry the next morning. Since it is Monsoon Season we have been watching the weather, we saw the flash flood warning for Elfrida so we were going to be there on Thursday, July 1st.
We left our Northwestern Drive property in Douglas, Arizona and we only got about 1 1/2 miles before Deborah made the turn onto Notre Dame Drive.
We knew that this mud puddle was here and that it is about 1 1/2 foot deep and Deborah gave the RV some gas so the momentum would carry her through it.
Well it worked pretty well, but all 4 welds and the 1 inch steel square tubing that made up the bottom of the factory installed battery holder didn’t like the bump when she came out of the mud puddle.
The result was the 230 pounds lead/acid batteries in the engine compartment slammed down and took them out like a swat team breaking down a cheap door.
The battery cables broke off the starter battery when it fell out the bottom.
We try to always be prepared for break downs since we are poor we know if anything goes wrong we have to fix it ourselves. Luckily we had a old extra battery the same size as the starter battery to replace it.
We tried using a piece of 1 5/8 inch UNI-STRUT to rebuild the battery holder, but when we drilled out the frame and went to tap it, the tap broke off in the frame and we only had 1, 1/4 inch tap and the only size bolts we had enough of to use were 1/4 inch.
In the end we just took the extra starter battery we had and turned it sideways across the steel frame and bungee corded it in place to get it back to the property.
We also decided that it was time to actually finish the bus and park the RV semi-permanently on the Northwestern Drive property. We will be working on building the bathroom and rear bedroom for the next few weeks and transfering stuff from vehicle to the other.
We are trying to get back on the road as soon as possible and head out to Elfrida, but if all else fails we will go by there on our trip back to Quartzsite, Arizona for the winter.